Pastors - Past & Present
Father Keating studied and became a member of what is now the St. Joseph Abbey in Covington, Louisiana, ordained a priest on December 4, 1902. Worked mostly in parish work. He was a Benedictine priest who visited Seneca and Ozona from Covington. In 1913-14 he visited Picayune and wrote to Bishop Quinn asking him to come to Picayune for confirmation. Died suddenly of a heart attack on October 2, 1939 at the St. Joseph Abbey.
Msgr Schermesser was ordained on July 19, 1909 at Lyons, France. He was appointed to Seneca and Missions, one of them being Ozona and later Picayune, in 1922 and served there until his death on January 12, 1963. He was buried at Seneca.
Father O'Hanlon studied at Kenrick Seminary for the Diocese of Springfield, Illinois, and was ordained on June 10, 1923. He came to the Diocese of Natchez-Jackson in 1940 and served until June 1, 1951, when he resigned for heath reasons. He later served in Biloxi, Mississippi, and died on January 20, 1969.
Father Niemeyer studied at Notre Dame, New Orleans, Louisiana, and was ordained June 7, 1941. After assignments in Natchez, Bay Saint Louis, Greenville, Hattiesburg, and Cleveland, he was pastor of St. Charles Borromeo from June 15, 1951, until January 23, 1957. He subsequently was pastor in Shelly, Greanda, Natchez and Woodville from which he retired on June 15, 1975.
Father Manon studied at St. Michael's Monastery, Union City, New Jersey and was ordained on June 14, 1919, for the Passionist Congregation. He came to the Diocese of Natchez-Jachson in 1939, and served in Water Valley, Oxford, and Leland. He was pastor of St. Charles Borromeo from January 23, 1957, until May 27, 1959, when he died at Hotel Dieu Hospital in New Orleans.
Father O'Donnell studied at St. Patrick's Seminary, Carlow, Ireland, and was ordained on June 13, 1926. He served in Pascagoula, Vicksburg, Natchez, Greenville, Trenton Diocese, Chatawa, Woodville, and was pastor of St. Charles Borromeo from July 1, 1959, until September 8, 1962, when he resigned on account of ill health. He died in Sussex, England, on January 6, 1970.
Father Hayes studied at Catholic University, Washington, and was ordained for the Missionary Servants of the Most Holy Trinity on June 11, 1946. After an assignment in Pearlington, he was appointed Temporary Administrator of St. Charles Borromeo from September 8, 1962, until February 1, 1963. Her served afterward in Philadelphia, Mississippi, Kiln, Clermont Harbor and Pearlington.
Father Quinn attended St. Patrick's Seminary, Co. Carlow, Ireland, and was ordained on June 14, 1931. He received appointments to Bay St. Louis and Biloxi. From 1941 until 1944 he was the Diocesan Youth Director. From 1943 until 1946, he was Diocesan Director of the Propagation of the Faith Society and was assigned to Leland and Jackson. In 1954, he was appointed a Domestic Prelate. From February 1, 1963, until September 1, 1970, he was pastor of St. Charles Borommeo. He retired and died in Ireland on October 22, 1990.
After studying at the Pontifical College Josephinium, Worthington, Ohio, Father Mignot was ordained on March 10, 1946. Following appointments in Jackson and Vicksburg, he was assigned to St. Charles Borromeo in 1963 and was appointed assistant from May 18, 1966, until June 1, 1967. He was assigned to Woodville and later to Biloxi.
Father Tuite attended St. Patrick's Seminary, Carlow, Ireland, and was ordained June 1, 1947. After appointments in Biloxi, Natchez, Lizana, Waveland and Vicksburg, he was pastor of St. Charles Borromeo from September 1, 1970, until August 29, 1972. He received appointments to Columbus and Natchez when he died on March 10, 1983.
Father O'Riordan attended St. Patrick's Seminary, Carlow, Ireland, and was ordained June 6, 1964. After appointments in Bay St. Louis, Laurel, and Natchez, he was sent to St. Charles Borromeo first as a substitute from March 24, 1972, and then as Administrator from August 29, 1972, until January 15, 1973. From Picayune, he went to Shaw and Columbus.
Father Kavanagh's place of Ecclesiastical study was St. Patrick's College, Carlow, Ireland. He was ordained June 5, 1955 for the Diocese of Natchez. He served as pastor of St. Charles Borromeo from January 15, 1973 until January 15, 1974. He later retired on January 1, 1993. Fr. Kavanagh died on August 6, 1998 in Ireland.
Father Hynes's place of Ecclesiastical study was St. Patrick's College, Maynooth, Co. Kildare, Ireland. He was ordained June 18, 1944 at St. Patrick's for the Diocese of Elphin, Ireland. He served as pastor of St. Charles Borromeo from January 15, 1974 until he retired on December 20, 1979. He died on April 29, 1994.
Father Tierney's place of Ecclesiastical study was St. Patrick's College, Carlow, Ireland. He was ordained June 7, 1958 at St. Patrick's College for the Diocese of Natchez-Jackson. He served as pastor of St. Charles Borromeo in 1980. He died on January 9, 1991.
Father Leane's place of Ecclesiastical study was St. Patrick's College, Carlow, Ireland. He was ordained June 6, 1964 at St. Patrick's College for the Diocese of Natchez-Jackson. He was appointed Defenser of the Bond on May 8, 1980 and was appointed as a Diocesan Judge for cases of and kind pesented before the Tribunal on June 23, 1983. He served as pastor of St. Charles Borromeo from April 11, 1980 until his death of cancer on November 23, 1987.
Father Filipich's place of Ecclesiastical studies were St. Joseph's Seminary, St. Benedict, Louisiana, and Notre Dame Seminary, New Orleans. He was ordained June 6, 1953 at St. Micheal's Church in Biloxi. He served as associate pastor of St. Charles Borromeo until January 1988. He later retired on February 29, 1992.
Monsignor McGough studied at Mungert College, Limerick, and St. Bernard Major Seminary, St. Bernard, Alabama. He was ordained on May 25, 1957. He was assistant at Nativity Parish, Biloxi, for one year. In 1958, he went to study Canon Law at Catholic University of America from where he received his Doctorate in Canon Law. He was Chancellor and Officialis for the Diocese of Natchez-Jackson from 1962-1966. He was then appointed Vicar General. In 1971, he was appointed pastor of Sacred Heart, Hattiesburg, from 1977-1979 he was Chancellor and Officialis for the new Diocese of Biloxi, and Vicar General in 1979. He was pastor of St. Paul's, Pass Christian, from 1978-1985, pastor of Our Lady of the Gulf, Bay St. Louis , from 1985 to 1988. He served as pastor of St. Charles Borromeo from 1988 to 1990 and then pastor of St. James, Gulfport 1990-.
Father Noone studied at St. Patrick's Seminary, Carlow, Ireland. He was ordained to the priesthood on June 10, 1967. He was assistant at Our Lady of the Gulf Church, Bay St. Louis, from September 1, 1967 until March 17, 1970, when he was appointed Associate Director of Catholic Charities, Diocese of Natchez-Jackson. He received the degree of Master of Social Work in 1971 from Tulane University, New Orleans. From 1972-1977, he was Director of Catholic Social Services Gulfport. He was Director of Catholic Social Services and Family Life Ministry for the Diocese of Biloxi from 1977-1982. After a spiritual year at the Religious Studies Department of Gonzaza University, Spokane, Washington, he was appointed pastor of Holy Trinity Church, Columbia, St. Paul's, Tylerton and St. Mary's Sylvest. He was appointed pastor of St. Charles Borromeo in 1990. On February 1, 2002, after 12 years of pastoring to St. Charles Borromeo, Father Noone was reassigned to a parish in nearby Kiln, Mississippi.
Father Michael obtained a Bachelor's Degree in Business and worked in many different fields over a number of years before deciding to become a Priest. He was ordained on June 7, 1997, on the Feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. His first assignment was Associate at Nativity BVM Cathedral. His next assignments were at St. John and St. Louis, where he served as Pastor, before coming to St. Charles Borromeo in Picayune on February 2, 2002.